GNV (GNU's Not VMS) is an open source, GNU-based UNIX environment for OpenVMS that provides UNIX application developers, system managers, and users a UNIX-style environment on OpenVMS. This facilitates development and porting of UNIX software to OpenVMS.
- Bash is a command processor, an alternative to DCL.
- GNU Core Utilities are basic file, shell, and text manipulation utilities such as sort, md5sum, ls, printf, etc.
- GNU AWK is a special-purpose programming language for data reformatting.
- GNU grep is a tool that searches a file for lines containing a match to a specified pattern.
- GNU sed is a non-interactive command-line text editor.
- GNU LD is a linker: it combines a number of object and archive files, relocates their data and ties up symbol references.
- GNU AR creates, modifies, and extracts from archives.
- Make is a building tool.
- C Run-Time Library supplemental library to provide utilities typically found on UNIX systems.</li>